Monday, March 30, 2009

Since I love metaphors and drawing parallels in everything, one of the first things I did while watching Streetcar was look for the metaphors that the people represented. The most striking in my opinion being Stanley. Stanley to me represented Truth in its purest sense, that harsh looking glass that shows all of the flaws of the person looking into it. The image in the movie that reflected this was the naked light bulb in the apartment. The conflict was created by the naked light bulb lighting up the room, the room incidentally being Blanche. Stanley just wishes to impose truth on everything that he encounters so that he can control it and not be deceived. The problem then comes when he tries to expose Blanche for what she really was, as opposed to just accepting or even exposing the truth with a degree of grace. The grace that the truth should have been delivered with was the lamp shade that Blanche obsessed about.

This whole image in the movie made me think about the nature of Truth and how it should be treated. At first I want to believe that Truth should not be violated in any way and that it should be allowed to follow its due course. The problem then becomes that the Soul becomes uninhabitable and when a weaker person is exposed to that kind of harshness, they break. So this leads me to believe that Truth should be veiled to a certain extent and delivered with a kind of grace in order to soften it. But then again I tend to think that anything less than the whole is a violation of the whole. I'm still not really sure, I do think it should be delivered with love, but to what degree?

I don't know. It's somewhat ironic that Truth in this sense feels a lot more grey than I would like to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment